Saturday, April 10, 2010

Saturday 10th April

After a week up in Scotland with wall to wall Gannets, Puffins and assorted seabirds (I will post some pics in the week) I was out at New Hythe from 6.30 -8.30am today. I was hoping to add some migrants and soon had the first of wall to wall Blackcap as I parked the car.
A walk through the East Scrub and I added Willow Warbler. Over the East Scrub and all was quiet before I heard a snatch of Nightingale song. It gave a few short bursts of song from the corner of the east scrub by the pylon but then only a few grunts and wheezes. Obviously tuning up! As I was listening a Whitethroat ratttled it's scratchy song next to me. In the next week or so the place will be alive with them but good to hear my first for the year.
Over the railway I heard the first of six Cettis and then as I was walking along the river a Cuckoo from the direction of the sunken marsh. A few days earlier than my average. I couldn't actually see it as I scanned the marsh which was frustrating. A Linnet over but no sign of any Sedge or Reed Warbler here.

Over to Brooklands a small Gull caught my eye. A Little Gull. I watched it at distance for 20 minutes or so and got a few record shots.

Little Gull- Brooklands Lake

Later in the morning on a drive past after a visit to Tesco I added my first Brimstone and Small White of the year.

5 Comments:

At 3:44 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

What a good couple of hours out Phil. Especially the little gull!

 
At 4:36 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Nightingale, Whitethroat, Cuckoo, Brimstone, and a Little Gull!!! Sounds like a super morning!

 
At 5:12 pm, Blogger Phil said...

Nice list there Steve. I looked for the Little Gull later in the morning but couldn't find it. Did hear a Sedge Warbler deep in the Sunken Marsh but couldn't see it.

 
At 6:55 pm, Blogger Ken. said...

Hi Steve.
Glad you had a great time in Scotland.
You didn't do too bad at New Hythe, finding what you did. Nice record shot of the Little Gull.

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger Warren Baker said...

errr....I meant Steve! getting me blogs mixed up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home